Monday, December 24, 2012

So This is Christmas

And what have I eaten? A lot of fried rice (what's new?). WELL, what's new is that I've been making it myself instead of ordering it, which is surprisingly cheap.  I think it's pretty tasty, and it takes a little under half an hour. OH MY GAD, I'm about to post my first recipe.

MY FOOLPROOF FRIED RICE RECIPE FOR THE STUDENT AND BEYOND

Ingredients:

2 tbsp sesame oil (trader joe's sells it for super cheap)
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
4 cloves garlic minced
1 cup rice
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Recipe:
Heat 2 cups of water over stovetop until boiling. Add rice, cover, and continue to cook over medium-low heat. Cook rice for 20 minutes - check occasionally.

When rice is nearly finished, heat sesame oil over medium heat, add garlic and ginger after oil has warmed. Let cook until just before the garlic begins to brown - 1-2 minutes. Toss cooked rice into pan and stir until the rice is coated with the ginger-garilc infused oil. Part a space for the eggs in the center of the rice too cook.

Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk until yolk and white are combined. Add the mixture to the center of the pan where you've made the space. Stir eggs occasionally until they begin to firm. Mix eggs into rice to finish cooking. Add peas and soy sauce, and stir until warmed through. YO FRIED RICE IS READY TO SERVE.

Pretty basic, but whatever. A lot of people don't know how to cook fried rice, so what the heck, here is a recipe. If it sounds interesting to you, give it a try, if not I'll just cry myself to sleep. No big.

I've got a lot of holiday pictures to show. I'm home in California, and I'm surrounded by cookies and sweaty siblings.

It's been about six months since the last time my family saw me, and I swear to god I'm never going to hear the end of "you're too skinny!" Considering two of my six followers are my parents, they MUST know how much I eat. If not, maybe I'll put on a couple pounds over the next few weeks to appease them. Anyways, Merry Christmas, and all that jazz.

2 comments: