Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Two Bros ( and whatever I can recall eating in the last week)

Happy Christmas, as the brits say. Halloween has been over in my mind since Saturday even though it just happened two nights ago. I spent my Saturday watching Elf and listening to the bells of a nearby church or bell tower or notre dame or whatever lying in my bed with a platter of Suzy's finest chinese to keep me company. To my dismay, I was dragged out that evening and it was then that I experienced my first bitter cold NYC evening. After about an hour of a so-so swing dancing event,  my roommate and I detoured to 30 rock at midnight to break into SNL. Little did we know, there was no show that evening and as we arrived in the freezing cold, my gloves soaked through due to excessively throwing snowballs at taxis, we found ourselves locked out of the building on the glorious pavement just in front of the famous ice skating rink.

Oh to be a New Yorker. Not that I felt like one that night. No, as I raved manically in front of monuments and demanded my roommate take extraneous amounts of photos of me with my arms outstretched and my hair lightly dusted with snow-none of which turned out very good I might add- I felt like a full fledged tourist. Our pitstop at the Mcdonalds across from Times Square only confirmed this.

I must say though, I do miss Mcdonalds. Back home I had it once a week at least, usually more. It was odd to walk in and see that new cuisines had joined their smorgasbord of delicacies. This is something I would have known and discussed in California. I began to wonder what it was I even spoke of anymore, what had my life become? I had to restrain myself from indulging and bought only a coffee.

It was all I could afford. In fact its all I've been able to afford for weeks. Where i've been drawing my food funds from I cannot say, as I painfully checked my bank statements to find I had negative one dollar in savings little more than a week ago. Of course it was that same day a friend of my suggested we all go to a restaurant before our study session. While I wanted to propose instead going to a dining hall, I inevitably ended up at this restaurant.

Two Bro's on St. Marks. A reasonable looking pizza shop. As we approached the entrance an A rating flashed my eyes and I pretty much knew it was going to be out of my price range. Walking in, the pizza man slammed his fist on the dough and looked up at a startled me asking what I'd have. I told him just cheese and an ironed out pizza was handed to me. My teeth bared, I waited for the price. 2 dollars! for a slice of cheese that is. That's a slice of veggie which is 2.50 or something. Still a bargain, especially considering the A rating. It's good to know poor people can eat vermin free meals too. Check it out the pizza, it's good.

1 comment:

  1. McDonalds once a week, at least?!
    What terrible parents you must have. LOL

    ReplyDelete